The Tax & Licensing division is primarily responsible for collecting occupational tax and regulatory fees for the City of Griffin.  An occupational tax certificate, commonly known as a business license, is a certificate issued by government agencies authorizing individuals or companies to conduct business within the government’s geographical jurisdiction.  It is the authorization to start a business issued by the local government. 

The City of Griffin offers various incentive for new businesses.

The Tax & Licensing Division is responsible for:

  • Business Registration and Occupational Tax
  • Alcoholic Beverage Licenses
  • Alcoholic Beverage Catering Permits
  • Special Event & Parade Permits
  • Excise Tax Collection
  • Franchise Fees Collection
  • Miscellaneous Billing Collection

The Tax & License office is located at 100 S Hill St in Griffin on the Third Floor. Our office hours are Monday – Friday, 8:00 a.m. – 5:00 p.m.  
All real and personal property tax payments are collected by the Spalding County Tax Commissioner.

Billing and Collection Process

Before commencing business, business owners are required to register their business and pay occupational tax (business license) prior to operating in the City of Griffin.  All occupational tax certificates are valid for the period January 1 through December 31.  New certificates are valid from the date that the business begins in the City of Griffin until December 31.

The number of employees, plus a minimum flat tax of $50 and an assessment of $40 administrative fee determines the computation of occupational tax.  The employee charge is based on the table below: 

Number of Employees

Rate of Tax

1 to 20

$60.00 per employee

21 to 100

$1,200.00, plus $30.00 for each employee over 20

101 and above

$3,600.00, plus $10.00 for each employee over 100


*An employee means an individual whose work is performed under the direction and supervision of the employer and whose employer withholds FICA, federal income tax, or state income tax from such individual's compensation or whose employer issues to such individual for purposes of documenting compensation a form I.R.S. W-2, but not a form I.R.S. 1099.  For purposes of calculating the tax due, the number of employees of the business or practitioner shall be computed on a full-time position equivalent basis. An employee who works 40 hours or more weekly shall be considered a full-time employee and the average weekly hours of employees who work less than 40 hours weekly shall be added and such sum shall be divided by 40 to produce full-time equivalents.

Sample Calculation is below:

6 Employees
Admin Fee                 $40
Flat Tax                      $50
Employees (6)          $360
Total Tax Due           $450

Practitioners of profession listed in OCGA Chapter 34, Title 43 may elect to pay $400 occupational tax per professional or they may elect to pay the occupational tax based on number of employees (see sample calculation above). 

Out of state businesses with no permanent location in Georgia who perform business inside the city limits of Griffin, may apply for a City of Griffin occupational tax certificate. 

Occupational tax renewal notices are mailed in November.  Business owners have until March 31 to renew their occupational tax certificate without penalty. 

Alcoholic Beverage License renewal applications and fees are due November 1.  Monthly excise tax payments are due by the 20th of each month for the preceding month. 

Hotel-Motel Excise Tax

Hotel-Motel Excise Taxes

All hotels/motels operating in the City of Griffin are required to obtain and maintain a current Occupational Tax Certificate from the City of Griffin.  Additionally, the establishments are required to assess an 8% excise tax on behalf of the City.  The excise taxes collected are to be remitted and reported on a monthly basis utilizing the online reporting and payment system hosted by The Resource Professionals Group (TRPG).  The tax is due by the 20th day of the subsequent month, i.e. taxes collected during October are due by November 20th.  Instructions for registering, reporting and paying the taxes can be obtained by clicking hereThe website for TRPG is

Information for contacting TRPG and registration is included in the information accessible via the link above. Each lodging establishment is responsible for contacting TRPG directly to obtain access to the online reporting and payment system.  Failure to register with TRPG will not alleviate the penalties associated with late filings and/or payments. Please note that the taxes can no longer be mailed directly to the City of Griffin - the taxes must be reported and paid via the online system referenced above.

Click here for the City of Griffin Ordinances pertaining to the Hotel-Motel Taxes.  Questions concerning the tax can be directed to the Tax & License Administrator at 770-229-6402 or via email at  Most questions should be addressed directly with TRPG since they are now collecting and enforcing the reporting of hotel/motel taxes for the City Griffin.·        

I Want To
Contact Numbers

Operator: 770-229-6400
Central Services: 770-229-6421
Customer Service: 770-229-6403
Environmental Hotline: 770-229-6625
Planning & Development: 770-233-4130
Police Department: 770-229-6450
Narcotics Tip Line: 678-692-0452
Public Works: 770-229-6603
For Power/Water Outages Call: 770-229-6406
National Human Trafficking Resource Center: 1-888-373-7888