Memorial Drive, Griffin
Stonewall Cemetery is located on part of a plot given as a burial site by General Lewis Lawrence Griffin, when he founded Griffin in 1840. Several hundred Confederates and one Union soldier, casualties of the Battle of Atlanta and Jonesboro, from the hospital at old Synodical College and the battlefields, are buried here.
The principal monument here was among the first to the Confederate dead. The first recorded Confederate Memorial Day in Griffin was October 26,1866 making it among the first in Georgia. Rev. D. L. Gwinn, Pastor of the First Baptist Church, delivered an eloquent and appropriate address on that occasion. The monument is topped with an Angel. There are cannons on all four corners, and what can be read is as follows,
“In memoriam our Confederate Dead."
To the right of the Angel it reads: "Erected by the Ladies Memorial Association of Griffin, Ga. 1869".
On the back it reads:"Rest! Soldier! Rest."
On the right side of the monument:
Here sleeps the brave who sink to rest, With all their country's wishes blest;
When Spring with dusky finger cold, Returns to deck their hallowed mould;
She then shall dress a sweeter sod, Than fancy's feet have ever trod.
By fairy hands their knell is rung, By forms unseen their dirge is sung;
There honor comes, a pilgrim gray, To bless the turf that wraps their clay;
And freedom shall awhile repair, To dwell a weeping hermit there.
It had been ordered before the war for a family plot, but the Northern blockade delayed delivery. When it arrived the family could no longer afford it. Many were casualties of the battles of Atlanta and Jonesboro and died while patients at the many hospitals located in Griffin. Some of the hospital locations are noted by historic markers.
Stonewall Confederate Cemetary Monument