North side of East Poplar Street at Fourth Street, Griffin
(National Register of Historic Places)
Constructed in 1870, this is the oldest public school building in Griffin. The school is a two-story, brick structure with Italianate details. It is incorporated into the Griffin High School campus and is connected to other buildings by covered walkways. The structure was built for the Griffin Male Institute and was named for Sam Wesley Bailey, a banker and landowner who came to Griffin after the Civil War and contributed generously to the school's building fund. The school was built by Jonathan Drake, one of Griffin's major builders. The school opened originally as a private school but became a public school in August, 1873. This ended in 1877 with the school returning to private status. It returned to the public system eight years later where it has remained. Also known as Sam Bailey Male Institute .