REGULAR SCHEDULED MEETING
CITY OF GRIFFIN BOARD OF COMMISSIONERS
TUESDAY, MARCH 26, 2013
W. ELMER GEORGE MUNICIPAL HALL
100 SOUTH HILL STREET
Call to order by Chairperson Todd
Pledge of Allegiance
PRESENTATIONS / DELEGATIONS
1. Recognize Alexa Robinson for the “New Trainer of the Year 2012” award for
Adopt-A Stream Program, Georgia Environmental Protection Division. Director
of Public Works & Utilities Dr. Brant Keller will address.
2. Recognize the City of Griffin’s “Watershed of the Year 2012” award for a Phase
2 Municipal Separate Storm Sewer System, presented by the Adopt-A-Stream
Program Georgia Environmental Protection Division. Director of Public Works
& Utilities Dr. Brant Keller will address.
3. Recognize the G-S Area Transportation Committee Bicycle & Pedestrian
Subcommittee and the Griffin Bicycle Coalition in support of bicycle and
pedestrian travel as an alternative mode of transportation. Chairperson Todd will
At this time, the Chairperson opens the floor to comments from the audience. Comments
should relate to a specific agenda item, not listed on the agenda for a Public Hearing, or to a
concern within the jurisdiction of the City. Commission meetings serve the purpose of
conducting city business and are not a forum for the unlimited expression of opinion. The
Chairperson reserves the right to limit comments to matters germane to city business and may
refer speakers to the City Manager or other staff for resolution.
Public Hearings are conducted to allow public comment on specific advertised issues such as
rezoning, ordinances, policy development, operating budgets and other legislative actions to be
considered by the City Commission.
4. Receive comments regarding a request to amend the Unified Development Code of the
City of Griffin (published as Article XII Signs Sec. 1214) with respect to Regulation of
Signs by Land Use: Emerging Corridor. Director of Planning & Development Services
Taurus Freeman will address.2
5. Consider approval of Minutes of the Regular Scheduled Meeting on March 12,
6. Consider Second and Final Reading of an Ordinance amending the Code of
Griffin, Georgia at Chapter 54, Health & Sanitation, Article I, In General, Sec.
54-1, Adoption of Certain Rules and Regulations, so as to adopt and enforce
Spalding County Board of Health Rules and Regulations for Body Art Studios
and Body Artists.
The Regular Agenda includes items on which the Commission will individually consider and
possibly take action.
7. Consider best evaluated bid to G & K Services, rental and lease services for
uniforms, and Agreement for Supply of G & K Services, contracting for a term of
four (4) years, for a combined monthly cost of $6,335.07 or $76,020.84 per year.
Director of Administrative Services Markus Schwab will address.
8. Consider upgrade to Public Works Water Department Supervisory Control and
Data Acquisition (SCADA) Server and equipment in the amount of $43,454.00.
The SCADA System monitors and controls the City’s water supply and waste
water lift stations. Chief Information Officer Jack Poland will address.
9. Consider contract with nCourt utilizing Sungard Public Sector OSSI software to
provide e-commerce services to the City of Griffin Police Department by
allowing them to satisfy traffic fines over the internet. Chief Information Officer
Jack Poland will address.
10. Consider First Reading of an Ordinance amending the Unified Development
Code of the City of Griffin, Georgia (published as Article XII Signs, Sec. 1214)
with respect to Regulation of Signs by Land Use: Emerging Corridor. Director
of Planning & Development Services Taurus Freeman will address.
11. Consider amending contract with ReservationsFor, Inc. to include on-line
reservations for the Welcome Center for the Planning & Development Services
Department. Director of Planning & Development Services Taurus Freeman will
12. Consider approval of sidewalk list for bid preparation for the Public Works &
Utilities Department. Director of Public Works & Utilities Dr. Brant Keller will
13. Consider a construction bid and Agreement with RDJE, Inc. for the CDBG 2012
Phase IV of the North Griffin Infrastructure Improvements in the amount of
$560,519.00. Director of Public Works & Utilities Dr. Brant Keller will address.3
14. Consider a request to place a monument in memory of Bill Simons at the City of
Griffin Municipal Golf Course. Director of Public Works & Utilities Dr. Brant
Keller will address.
15. Consider a Memorandum of Understanding (MOU) with Spalding County Board
of Commissioners for the 2013 Pool Season. Director of Public Works &
Utilities Dr. Brant Keller will address.
16. Consider an Intergovernmental Agreement between the City of Griffin and
Spalding County for the equal funding of the Griffin-Spalding County Archives.
City Manager Kenny Smith will address.
17. Consider amending the City of Griffin’s General Fund Operating and Capital
Budget for Fiscal Year 2012-2013 in the amount of $7,500.00 for the new
Archivist position in Planning & Development Services. City Manager Kenny
Smith will address.
18. Consider an Intergovernmental Agreement between the City of Griffin and
Spalding County for the distribution of revenue generated by O.C.G.A. 48-5C-1,
and the Ad Valorem Tax for Motor Vehicles. City Manager Kenny Smith will
19. Consider an Intergovernmental Agreement between the City of Griffin, Spalding
County and the Griffin-Spalding County Airport Authority for the Joint Funding
of General Aviation Operations at the Griffin-Spalding County Airport. City
Manager Kenny Smith will address.
20. Consider redirecting all proceeds from the Albany sale to the MEAG
Competitive Trust, Short Term Portfolio, effective in April, 2013. City Manager
Kenny Smith will address.
CITY MANAGER’S REPORT
The City Manager will update the Commission on pending items, upcoming workshops,
meetings, conferences and other pertinent issues.
CITY COMMISSIONER COMMENTS
Commissioners will provide updates regarding issues of interest from their respective districts
and/or committee reports.