REGULAR SCHEDULED MEETING
CITY OF GRIFFIN BOARD OF COMMISSIONERS
TUESDAY, JANUARY 22, 2013
W. ELMER GEORGE MUNICIPAL HALL
100 SOUTH HILL STREET
Call to order by Chairperson Todd
Pledge of Allegiance
PRESENTATIONS / DELEGATIONS
1. Recognize James Beasley upon his retirement with 35 years of service to
the City of Griffin. Director of Public Works and Utilities Dr. Brant
Keller will address.
2. Recognize Donald Bailey upon his retirement with 25 years of service to
the City of Griffin. Chief Frank Strickland will address.
3. Recognize Sonny Spear upon his retirement with 36 years of service to the
City of Griffin. Chief Tommy Jones will address.
4. Recognize Miles Neville of the Human Resources Department as 2012’s
“Strongest Link” award recipient. Director of Administrative Services
Markus Schwab will address.
At this time, the Chairperson opens the floor to comments from the audience.
Comments should relate to a specific agenda item, not listed on the agenda for a Public
Hearing, or to a concern within the jurisdiction of the City. Commission meetings
serve the purpose of conducting city business and are not a forum for the unlimited
expression of opinion. The Chairperson reserves the right to limit comments to matters
germane to city business and may refer speakers to the City Manager or other staff for
Public Hearings are conducted to allow public comment on specific advertised issues
such as rezoning, ordinances, policy development, operating budgets and other
legislative actions to be considered by the City Commission.
5. Consider approval of Minutes of the Regular Scheduled Meeting on
January 8, 2013.
The Regular Agenda includes items on which the Commission will individually
consider and possibly take action.
6. Consider approval to award the lowest and best bid to Border Construction
for the purchase of a 48 HP Concrete Saw, in the amount of $22,425.00
for use in the Stormwater Division. Director of Public Works and
Utilities Dr. Brant Keller will address.
7. Consider purchase of Ingersoll Dresser Vertical Turbine Pump Model
14HH from Goforth Williamson, Inc. in the amount of $25,000.00 for
Blanton Mill Land Application System for the Water/Wastewater division.
Director of Public Works and Utilities Dr. Brant Keller will address.
8. Award Task Order to Paragon Consulting Group, Inc. for the preliminary
engineering report for Phase V for the 2013 Community Development
Block Grant (CDBG) in the amount of $6,700.00. Director of Public
Works and Utilities Dr. Brant Keller will address.
9. Consider a Supplement to the Master Services Agreement with Paragon
Consulting Group, Inc. for civil engineering design, surveying, bid
documents and construction management for the Flint River Pump Station
Relocation in an amount not to exceed $471,540.00. Director of Public
Works and Utilities Dr. Brant Keller will address.
10. Consider approval to continue Georgia Public Web Internet Service
agreement that increases current bandwidth from 6 Mbps to 18 Mbps at no
additional cost to the City of Griffin. Chief Information Officer Jack
Poland will address.
11. Consider a consolidated bulk buy for the purchase of thirty (30) vehicle
rugged Mobile Data Terminal (MDT) Toughbooks for the Police
Department from CDWG on Georgia State Contract. The IT equipment
will be purchased under the City’s life cycle management program in the
amount of $71,898.90. Chief Information Officer Jack Poland will
12. Consider approval to amend the City of Griffin’s Fiscal Year 2013
Operating and Capital Budget in the amount of $13,000.00 for office
furniture in System Operations. Director of Electric Bill Bosch will
13. Consider approval for Commissioner Shaheer Beyah to attend the
National Youth-at-Risk Conference in Savannah, Georgia March 3-6,
2013. City Manager Kenny Smith will address.
14. Consider a Resolution, in accordance with the Georgia Election Code and
State Election Board, to call for a Municipal Election for Districts 1, 3, 5
and 6 on Tuesday, November 5, 2013, and to establish a qualifying fee in
accordance with Georgia Elections Code and Rules of the State Election
Board, Section 21-2-131 in the amount of $403.20. City Manager Kenny
Smith will address.
15. Consider approval, in cooperation with the Spalding County Board of
Commissioners, to request the FAA designate the following tracts of
airport property, as depicted on the attached map, as non-essential for
Parcel #1 14 +/- acres commonly known as Airport Road Park
Parcel #2 16 +/- acres commonly known as Kiwanis Fairgrounds
Parcel #3 8.5 +/- acres commonly known as Bike Trail
Parcel #4 50 +/- acres commonly known as Grass Strip Area
Airport Manager Robert Mohl will address.
16. Consider a request to enter into an intergovernmental agreement with
Spalding County to provide the required 20% local match for a Federal
Transit Administration (FTA) funded Griffin-Spalding Transit Feasibility
Study. Griffin-Spalding Transportation Planner Anthony Dukes will
17. Executive Session - Pursuant to O.C.G.A. Section 50-14-2(1) for the
purpose of meeting with its attorney to discuss pending/potential litigation.
CITY MANAGER’S REPORT
The City Manager will update the Commission on pending items, upcoming
workshops, meetings, conferences and other pertinent issues.
CITY COMMISSIONER COMMENTS
Commissioners will provide updates regarding issues of interest from their respective
districts and/or committee reports.