REGULAR SCHEDULED MEETING
CITY OF GRIFFIN BOARD OF COMMISSIONERS
TUESDAY, AUGUST 28, 2012
W. ELMER GEORGE MUNICIPAL HALL
100 SOUTH HILL STREET
Call to order by Chairperson Ward
Pledge of Allegiance
PRESENTATIONS / DELEGATIONS
At this time, the Chairperson opens the floor to comments from the audience.
Comments should relate to a specific agenda item, not listed on the agenda for a Public
Hearing, or to a concern within the jurisdiction of the City. Commission meetings
serve the purpose of conducting city business and are not a forum for the unlimited
expression of opinion. The Chairperson reserves the right to limit comments to matters
germane to city business and may refer speakers to the City Manager or other staff for
Public Hearings are conducted to allow public comment on specific advertised issues
such as rezoning, ordinances, policy development, operating budgets and other
legislative actions to be considered by the City Commission.
1. Receive comments regarding a request for a variance from the City of Griffin
Unified Development Code (UDC), Article 708.C.7 Minimum Side Yard Setback
Requirements under Medium Density Residential (MDR) for the property located
at 130 West Cherry Street effectively reducing the rear yard setbacks from the
minimum required 25 feet to 10 feet. Director of Planning and Development
Services Taurus Freeman will address.
2. Consider approval of Minutes of the Regular Scheduled Meeting on
August 14, 2012.
3. Consider Second and Final Reading of an Ordinance amending the Code
of Griffin at Chapter 82, Taxation, Article III, Excise Tax on Hotels.
4. Consider Second and Final Reading of an Ordinance amending the Code
of Griffin at Chapter 44, Media Productions.
5. Consider Second and Final Reading of an Ordinance amending the Code
of Griffin at Chapter 44, Emergency Management.
The Regular Agenda includes items on which the Commission will individually
consider and possibly take action.
6. Consider a request for a variance from the City of Griffin Unified
Development Code (UDC), Article 708.C.7 Minimum Side Yard Setback
Requirements under Medium Density Residential (MDR) for the property
located at 130 West Cherry Street effectively reducing the rear yard
setbacks from the minimum required 25 feet to 10 feet. Director of
Planning and Development Services Taurus Freeman will address.
7. Consider purchase of eight (8) traffic counters from lowest and best bid,
Industrial Safety, LLC, in the amount of $21,725.00 for the Public Works
& Utilities Department. Director of Public Works & Utilities Dr. Brant
Keller will address.
8. Consider a Task Order Form in accordance with the Master Services
Agreement with Florence and Hutcheson for civil engineering design,
surveying and bid documents for the wing wall repair at Heads Creek
Reservoir in an amount not to exceed $16,700.00. Director of Public
Works & Utilities Dr. Brant Keller will address.
9. Consider a General Agreement with Asplundh Tree Service for the tree
trimming services as an ECG approved provider. Director of Electric Bill
Bosch will address.
10. Consider a Lease Agreement between the City of Griffin and Tru-Check,
Inc. for office space at One Griffin Center. Director of Electric Bill Bosch
11. Consider the purchase of a Ford Transit Connect Van from Speedway
Ford (lowest quote) in the amount of $21,483.86 for the Information
Technology Center, and amend the budget accordingly. Director of
Administrative Services Markus Schwab will address.
12. Consider a Resolution adopting the five-year update of the 2006 Griffin
Town Center Livable Centers Initiative (LCI) study. Downtown
Development Authority Director Adam Causey will address.
13. Remove from the Table, and Consider a Resolution of the Board of
Commissioners of the City of Griffin, Georgia, specifying and adopting a
plan for the acquisition and construction of site acquisition and site, utility
and related improvements for tax allocation district #2; specifying the
estimated cost; authorizing the issuance of $866,397.00 principal amount
of tax allocation bonds; describing said bonds; providing for the
collection, handling and disposition of tax allocation proceeds;
authorizing and creating certain funds and accounts for the bonds;
authorizing the execution and delivery of a bond purchase agreement;
providing for an effective date of this resolution. City Attorney Drew
Whalen will address.
14. Consider approval for Commissioner Dick Morrow to attend the GMA
Fall Legislative Policy Council and Board of Directors Meeting in Pine
Mountain, Georgia on October 5 & 6, 2012. City Manager Kenny Smith
CITY MANAGER’S REPORT
The City Manager will update the Commission on pending items, upcoming
workshops, meetings, conferences and other pertinent issues.
CITY COMMISSIONER COMMENTS
Commissioners will provide updates regarding issues of interest from their respective
districts and/or committee reports.